Hi, I hope you’re revising hard and exams are going well! I have had a week full of rehearsals ready for our final performance in June directed by a professional director. Very interesting process and slightly emotional as it is the final piece of work I will be doing as a student at University of South Wales and the last time I’ll be working with my group; the 8 people I’ve spent the last three years with.
As a conclusion to my Drama based blogs, I want to state why exactly this Drama course is better than any other! Hopefully, by the end I’ll have you all sold! 😉 So here goes…
- Wide variety of modules – Over the last three years there definitely has been a variety in the skills I’ve gained. I’ve had a chance to experience everything, from directing modules, scripting, sound-tech, film and video, improvisation, acting amongst other really cool theory and practical modules. There’s something for everyone and you can taylor your degree to what you’re interested in as you go into your 2nd and 3rd year.
- Make contacts – I have had the chance to meet so many professional people from the industry during my time at the ATRiuM. The lecturers constantly try to create contacts between the students and the people they know from the industry, as I have been to so many talks and have been involved in many performances that have been directed by professional directors. You will definitely appreciate this at your third year when you’ll be applying for jobs!
- Amazing facilities – We’re so lucky here at the ATRiuM to have the best equipment that you could possibly have! The building is so inspirational as well with it’s big windows and spiral staircase. Our studio’s are kitted out with the most hi-tech lighting and sound system. Also, if you ever need to make a film, they’re never short of professional camera’s that the film and TV industry use. We also have a load of iMac’s all booted with the up-to-date editing software.
- One big family – The lecturers are all really nice and I shall definitely be keeping in touch with all of them after I graduate. They’re always on hand to support and offer advice with regards to anything. Also as I study Drama through the medium of Welsh, we’re a smaller group of 9 so we have become very close over the last three years. I have definitely met life long friends on this course, as we have all supported each other every step of the way, which has been a big help! I have felt at home from the word go and that was down to the supportive lecturers and my course mates.
- Unforgettable experiences – I have gained so many experiences due to this course; experience that I will cherish forever. From performing in a professional performance infront of 500 people, dancing as a rock star in a mosh-pit, riding on the handle bars of a 60’s bike on the prom in Aberystwyth, going to many Drama festivals, creating a mini film down Cardiff bay, to acting as a school child in a student house climbing a tree and making dens! And all through this madness I was gaining a degree and was learning so many skills! Honestly, what other course could be as random and enjoyable?!
I hope this has helped you choose Drama at the ATRiuM, this may sound cheesy, but it will change your life. It definitely has changed mine for the better, as I am now a more confident and adventurous person and am most definitely ready to use the vital skills that I have learned at the ATRiuM in my career in the future!
Talking of careers, I had very good news this week! I got a researcher job with a TV company! I start end of June, so I’m very excited for the next chapter of my life to begin!
Speak soon, Sian.